Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Double D's make a Plus size woman??

I am an advocate for women to have options no matter what size they wear. I had been a voice for people needing to have style no matter what physical condition they are in. But there is one comment I can no longer listen to and stand aside without making a point to correct some.

I have on many many occasions heard this sentence... "Marilyn Monroe wore a size 14." Playing devil's advocate I truly didn't question it much... I didn't think it was all that true but her curvaceous figure could have caused for some odd measurements that in this day and age would be perhaps a larger woman. Until I was watching a program on TV, regarding Plus Size clothing and that women in N. America are averaging a size 14 and Marilyn Monroe was considered a size 16. Too which, I just couldn't stand it!!!!!

Marilyn Monroe was a curvy woman, busty to an extreme in her heyday! Not an athletic body at all, her curves left much to be desired to the women who are film stars this day. But what were her measurements truly? After a bit of research... which really wasn't that hard, I bring you the real Marilyn Monroe.
Height: 5 feet 5 1/2 inches
Weight: Varied, 115 - 120
lbs.
Measurements: 37-23-36 (Studio's Claim); 35-22-35 (Dressmaker's
Claim)
Hair color: Blond Eyes: Blue
These are her official measurements... I bring you a sizing chart. Why because you can do the comparison yourself. But look this is not no plus size female. A waist that not only is small in everyday standards, she would wear an XXS if she was present to see that size exist.

So please, people who want to promote Plus Size clothing, it's important that all woman are given the right to wear clothing, that is comfortable, fashionable and classic looking without demoralising the character of someone who has no one to speak for them.

1 comment:

Margot Potter said...

Hey KikiT!

Thanks for the linky love! This is Margot Potter The Impatient Blogger.

I am so glad you brought this topic up. I collect vintage clothing and sizes have changed considerably since the days of Marilyn Monroe. A size 14 back then is closer to a 4 or a 6 now. She was not as large as folks like to think, in fact she was tiny.

When I used to sell vintage clothing, I always told women to remember that the undergarments (girdles, merry widows, bras etcetera) helped create that hourglass figure.

Thanks for the provocative post!

Cheers!
Margot