Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Los Palabras!!

My Spanish/Mexican way... for the last week, I have had the pleasure of being kept busy by my Mexican guests. And it has me thinking of Street Vendors. Why you ask? I had gone to Mexico in 2003, now the trip wasn't as memorable as one month in the humid/hot province of Veracruz might sound. The shopping was exhilarating!!!

The Haggling... ohhh the haggling!!! I realised that I had the gift of bargaining... Ironically I couldn't see myself doing it well in English speaking North America with my head held high. But why was I needing to bargain. It's because I was purchasing like I had a fire in my pocket and my wallet needed to be left behind. Seriously, I fell in love with the eccentricities that was jewelry and accessories from the street merchants. Things that might have looked festive and vacation worthy, but you could bring back home and it not seem like you spent too much time on holidays.

I don't mean buying those tsotchkes that read tourist all over them. I am talking about really merchants who are trying to sell to their own people. Some artisan work, that looks a little more modern over matronly.

Why am I telling you all about this... so that you yourself can go holidaying this year while being your own personal trend hunter. Find the next big thing, wear it and feel proud that you could have bought the same inspirational piece in which designers world over have used as a platform to start a collection. So if you aren't into Vintage... as I am NOT! Please feel free to get out of the box, travel to another country and shop the local merchants. You'll be surprised what you might find!

No comments: